Since its incorporation in June 2004, the Deer Springs Fire Safe Council has become one of the most active and successful in
the State. The Council has received both informal and formal recognition for its efforts including being named Community Fire Safe
Council of the Year in 2008.Since its inception, the Council:
- Established a subscriber-based Emergency Calling System (ECS) to alert or inform residents in emergency situations.
- Authored the first
Community Wildfire Protection Plan for the Fire District.
- Organized neighborhood seminars to disseminate fire safety informantion.
- Established a call-in hotline for updates on local emergencies not requiring activation of the ECS.
- Published a newsletter "Fire Safety
News" containing fire safety information and mailed to all residents in the Deer Springs Fire Protection District.
- Applied for and
was was awarded two separate grants from the US Forest Service totaling nearly $250,000 (including matching funds) for reduction of
fuels along Moosa Canyon.
- Received a Bureau of Land Management grant totaling nearly $125,000 (including matching funds) to purchase
a vegetation chipper to provide District residents chipping services for fuel reduction efforts.
- Was invited to participate in a table
top fire scenario in the District along with representatives from fire districts, law enforcement, Office of Emergency Services, and
- Received a grant from the "After the Fires Fund" to prepare and plan for the next wildfire including mapping, threat assessment,
and asset inventory.
- Facilitated installation of state-of-the-art communications and organization equipment for eight battalion chief
vehicles through a grant from the County of San Diego.
- Facilitated installation of communications and operational equipment in Cal
Fire Public Information Officer vehicles through grants from SDG&E.
- Secured grant funding to continue the chipping progam.
texting capability to the ECS
- Converted the Fire Safety News to electronic format.
- Began holding neighborhood scenario-based evacuation
seminars in cooperation with Cal Fire.
- Continued partnering with Welk Resorts to hold the annual Firefighter Appreciation
Copyright (C) 2010-2018 Deer Springs Fire Safe Council. All Rights Reserved
Deer Springs Fire Safe Council
A 501(c)(3) Community Service Organization